Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Hobbies

I am a big hobby person. I have all my little crafty things I love to do. When I'm pregnant, I like to make maternity clothes. I'm not a great seamstress, but when you're pregnant, the dress doesn't have to "fit" like normal clothes do. :) It just has to make room for the belly. I love to scrapbook. I get on scrapbook kicks and want to scrapbook night and day. I have several books that are finished and several more "works in progress."

What am I into right now? Well, I love, love, love to make quilts!! Both of my grandmothers have been into this, so I have "inherited" the love for it, I guess. My Granny Heidel is so glad it's being passed down. :) I have fabric everywhere! My cedar chest is packed, I can barely close the lid. And I have several boxes in my back closet, and a few bags stashed here and there. It's ridiculous really, but I haven't paid a cent for any of it.

Jamin brought home a Quilting magazine to me last night, so I'm all into it again. I have done several baby quilts lately, but needed to finish one up. I'm also working on some for Christmas presents. I also have a new nephew due to arrive this week, so I'm trying to get his little quilt done.

As I finally perused my magazine, I checked into all the websites that are listed there. I saw so many patterns and colors I love!! But I can't start anything new, not now with all the projects remaining to be finished! So I'm going to work hard this winter to finish up everything I have started. I think I have one queen-size top and two lap-sized tops to be quilted (or tied), and then a few full size tops I'm working on (for Christmas). I finished a baby quilt today, and started a baby quilt. It's so fun!!

I love to make quilts for gifts. Since I already have tons of fabric, it usually only costs me what the batting (cotton) costs, and sometimes I need backing. They're so special and meaningful. I have a quilt that was given to me by my Granny Heidel. Her mother helped her make it years and years ago. It is so special and cherished. I want to give gifts like that...that have memories to go along.

My heirloom quilt:


It's more challenging now with two little ones making messes and crying and needing diaper changes. So I have to work hard when I can!

Timothy's baby quilt: I did it all by hand, except for zig-zagging on the binding. I only finished it a few weeks before he was born.


The quilt I finished today for little cousin Avery Grace:


Starting on my new nephew's quilt: I now have a helper! Yeah right! Thank goodness he only wanted to sit still for about two minutes. It was cute anyway! :)



The love of quilting is in my blood, and I'm obsessed. Who doesn't love to curl up with a quilt?

4 comments:

Joy said...

To Tammy Pallotta: Just in case you read this and think, "that's not how to use that sewing table," we know. :)We just got it into the place we wanted it, but misplaced the books telling how to do it all. We have found the book and will use it in the appropriate manner soon...I hope. Thank you for the table!

Tammy said...

Joy~I did leave you a comment on FB about recognizing the table. :)
The way you are using it now is the same way I did after I bought a new machine. The cabinet was custom for my first machine, but my new machine didn't fit in it so I just put it on top. BUT, since my house is so small, it just didn't seem the best use of space to keep it. I am so glad that you can put it to good use. And,I just LOVE your quilts, by the way. They are soooo beautiful.

Peggy said...

You're Granny's very proud, I'm sure!

MaMa Vaughn said...

Wow, that's really cool. I like quilts but can't make them. :) Your boys are sooo cute. :) Ya'll have such a beautiful family!